Frequently Asked Questions About Criminal Defense

Getting charged with a crime or being arrested, no matter what the charge, is almost always a stressful experience. For many people, it is their first exposure to the legal system. How you handle the aftermath will have a large effect on your future.

At The Law Offices of Richard B. Rosenblatt, PC, our criminal defense attorneys can put their years of criminal defense experience to use for you. Based in Rockville, Maryland, our lawyers help people facing misdemeanor charges throughout the region.

Call us today at 301-637-0402 or 866-930-0413 to schedule a consultation, an attorney will answer all of your questions, including:

When should I call an attorney?

You should ask to speak to an attorney as soon as possible after your arrest, before you answer any questions asked by the police. Your lawyer can advise you not to respond to questions that could be used to incriminate you and assist you in developing a strategy for your defense.

I just want to move on from this. Should I accept a plea deal?

Many times, a plea deal is the right course of action. However, you should let an attorney negotiate a deal that protects your interests on your behalf. Accepting a quick plea deal could mean spending time in jail or dealing with a criminal record that could hurt your future.

I failed a Breathalyzer test. What do I do?

We have extensive experience challenging the results of breath, blood and field sobriety tests that lead to DUI arrests. Even if you blow a .06 or higher, it is important to talk to an attorney about your options.

Should I let police into my house if they want to ask me questions?

You do not have to let police into your home unless they have a valid search warrant. Even if they say they just want to talk, your first move should be to call an attorney. We can get to work early in the process to help you achieve a better outcome.

I thought marijuana possession was decriminalized in Maryland, why was I arrested?

While the state decriminalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana, possessing more than 10 grams or any drug paraphernalia is still a crime that can have a serious effect on your record. An attorney can help you figure out the best way to proceed and challenge any evidence. For example, if cops thought you had more than 10 grams but actually had less, you could instead just receive a citation and have your arrest dismissed.